misunderstanding scale

Timothy Morizot tmorizot at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 02:46:04 UTC 2014

On Mar 23, 2014 8:44 PM, "Michael Thomas" <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
> It seems to me that the only thing that really matters in v6 wars for
enterprise is whether their
> content side has a v6 face. Who really cares whether they migrate away
from v4  so long as
> they make their outward facing content (eg web, etc) available over v6?
That's really the key.

It doesn't really matter to anyone else. Since I work on the enterprise
side rather than the ISP side, I'm arguing that it's really important for
the enterprise itself. I'm old enough to have been around when our
enterprise had x.25, local Netware, Lanmanager, and Microsoft networks.
Everything eventually converged to IP because interoperability both
internally and across the Internet is a really important factor.
Incompatibility carries an ever increasing cost. Moreover, since most
things have IPv6 enabled by default these days, most enterprises who
believe they are IPv4 only are deluding themselves. So from a security
perspective, they really need to be planning and managing IPv6 internally
as well.

Scott