Level 3 blames Internet slowdowns on Technica

Wayne E Bouchard web at typo.org
Fri Mar 21 15:36:34 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 02:30:45PM +0000, Sholes, Joshua wrote:
> >http://www.newnetworks.com/ShortSCANDALSummary.htm
> >
> >This boooklet is now maybe ~5-10 years old so it doesn't reflect more
> >recent developments.
> >
> >We *let* the monopolies (er, duopolies in some cases) get away with the
> >regulatory and legislative manipulation that led to the current outcome,
>
> That's definitely its own set of problems completely outside of where one
> stands on any idea in the space or on the regulation vs. competition
> debate in general.   Regulation does no good unless it's enforced, and
> competition can't exist meaningfully in an environment where unfair
> business practices are allowed to exist.

Which are both permitted and perpetuated in large part by the
regulatory environment we are made to operate under. Monopolies
usually require some sort of government support in order to survive.
Don't forget that it is the old companies (regardless of their current
name) making life difficult for the content carriers. They don't want
to adapt so they are lobbying to enact policies which make it easier
for them to sit there and be stagnant dinosaurs while the rest of the
world moves on. It's the same thing the record companies are doing on
with a different flavor.

-Wayne

---
Wayne Bouchard