Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Jun 18 21:47:49 UTC 2014

On 6/18/14, 1:09 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

>> However, I also don't think consumer education is the answer:
>> http://www.wleecoyote.com/blog/consumeraction.htm Summary: Until it
>> is perfectly clear why a consumer needs IPv6, and what they need to
>> do about it, consumer education will only cause fear and
>> frustration, which will not be helpful. This is a technology
>> problem, not a feature problem, and consumers shouldn't have to
>> select which Internet to be on.
>>
>> Lee
>>

> Short of consumer education, how do you expect to resolve the issue
> where $CONSUMER walks into $BIG_BOX_CE_STORE and says "I need a
> router, what's the cheapest one you have?"

The $39.95 dlink on the endcap at frys and the $140 one with 802.11ac
beam forming atennas and gig-e run the same v6 stack...

> Whereupon $TEENAGER_MAKING_MINIMUM_WAGE who likely doesn't know
> DOCSIS 2 from DOCSIS 3, has no idea what IP actually is, and thinks
> that Data is an android from Star Trek says "Here, this Linksys thing
> is only $30."

the software stack isn't the source of price discrimination.

> Unless/until we either get the stores to pull the IPv4-only stuff off
> their shelves or educate consumers, the continued deployment of
> additional incapable equipment will be a continuing problem. As bad
> as the situation is for cablemodems and residential gateways, at
> least there, an educated consumer can make a good choice. Now,
> consider DVRs, BluRay players, Receiver/Amplifiers, Televisions, etc.
> where there are, currently, no IPv6 capable choices available to the
> best of my knowledge.

this stuff ages out of the network or doesn't require ipv4 for the
entirety of it's useful service life.

turns out for example that smart-tv's generally aren't (smart).

Your appletv does support v6 as do many of those android sticks even if
they're sufficiently inexpensive enough to be disposable.