Correspondence to the FCC re: preemption of local government as a source of regulation

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Thu Jul 24 22:53:33 UTC 2014

Well that's where it gets tricky.

Section 253 of the Telecom Act says that nobody can write laws or
regulations that preempt "any entity" from entering the telecom
business.  The Act gives the FCC the power to preempt such laws and
regulations.

But, the Supreme Court has ruled that municipalities are subdivisions of
the states - and the states can do whatever they want in regulating
their piece parts.  So the FCC can't pre-empt the States in a lot of
these cases.  A good summary, with citations, is at
http://www.techlawjournal.com/topstories/2004/20040324b.asp

But.........  the Supreme Court decision waffled on municipal utilities
that are organized as independent authorities (i.e., separate legal
entities).  I don't believe that's been tested up the chain to the
Supreme Court - and I'll note that most of the successful municipal
telecom. projects have been by electric power boards.  (But that success
probably has more to do with those entities already being operating
entities, with people, customers, billing, rights-of-way, and a need to
string fiber for their own purposes.)

I'm also not clear on where the Supreme Court leaves "home rule" states,
where municipalities are more at arms length from.  Any lawyers here who
can comment?

Some more discussion at http://www.baller.com/pdfs/jmt_barriers.pdf --
from Jim Baller, who is a very sharp attorney who does a lot of work for
municipalities, on telecom.

Miles Fidelman