Netflix To Cogent To World

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Thu Jul 24 01:32:27 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> > Who's gonna depeer Cogent *now*?
>
> Probably noone....... at least not without compromising and first
> peering with Netflix.
>
> It would be interesting if Google, Wikimedia, CBS/ABC, CNN, Walmart,
> Espn, Salesforce, BoFa, Weather.com, Dropbox, Paypal, Netflix,
> Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Yahoo, Ebay, Wordpress.com,
> Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr, Reddit, Forbes, Zillow,   formed a
> little club and said
>

> "OK, Tier1.. providers.. we're not paying you guys for transit
> anymore; your customers want our stuff  and will consider their
> internet service DOWN if they can't get it.   You are going to pay us
> for a fast lane to our content now.  If you want it,  please start
> sending us your bids, now."
>

> > Cheers,
> > -- jra
> --
> -JH

Any discussions among some subsets of those
named entities that may or may not have ever
occurred may have quickly stumbled across
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_in_restraint_of_trade
and decided that colluding to form such a cartel
might potentially be a Bad Thing(tm), at which
point those discussions which may not have
indeed ever happened instead adjourned to
the bar for much safer forms of discourse.

Matt