Muni Fiber and Politics

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jul 21 22:07:30 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> > I will point out that in my experience, private roads do not tend to
>> > be as well
>> > maintained overall as public roads with some notable exceptions in
>> > very wealthy
>> > gated communities.
>>
>> Ironically, I've had the opposite experience. The nearby Dulles Toll
>> Road, Greenway and Beltway HOT lanes are all in much better condition
>> than all but a few of the rest of the local roads. My buddies out at
>> http://hoveroad.com/ don't keep the roads in as good shape, but they
>> are in excellent repair for an organization that maintains 157 miles
>> of roads on a $1M annual budget. Vastly better than what I've seen a
>> municipality achieve for the same price.
>
> Stop it, Bill.
>
> Owen didn't say "privately owned *toll road*"; "very wealthy gated
> communities" are even still rarely large enough to need their own
> turnpikes.
>
> If you keep setting up straw men, we'll be happy to knock them down for
> you, but you'll end up looking a little foolish.

(A) The referenced example, the HOVE RMC, is 157 miles of privately
owned road which is neither a toll road nor a gated community.

(B) That was a private message to you and Owen. Is there a particular
reason you felt the need to add nanog back to the recipients list?

-Bill

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Can I solve your unusual networking challenges?