Inevitable death, was Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Jul 15 04:44:27 UTC 2014

In message <201407150421.WAA26665 at mail.lariat.net>, Brett Glass writes:
> Mike:
>
> An ASN is, literally, just a number. One that's used by a very
> awkward and primitive routing system that requires constant
> babysitting and tweaking and, after lo these many years, still
> doesn't deliver the security or robustness it should. Obtaining
> this token number (and a bunch of IP addresses which is no
> different, qualitatively, from what I already have) would be a
> large expense that would not produce any additional value for my
> customers but could force me to raise their fees -- something which
> I absolutely do not want to do.
>
> Perhaps it's best to think of it this way: I'm outsourcing some
> backbone routing functions to my upstreams, which (generously)
> aren't charging me anything extra to do it. In my opinion, that's a
> good business move.
>
> As for "peering:" the definition is pretty well established. ISPs
> do it; content providers at the edge do not.

Bullshit.  Lots of entities peer.  Hell, I've peered over 9600 baud
leased line slip connections back in 80's. Late 80's but still the
80's.  The only requirement for peering is that you want to
interconnect.

I've also peered over fibre pulled between building on a campus.

In all cases both entities bought and dedicated ports on their
routers.  Routes were exchanged and bits shipped back and forth.

An ISP and a content provider can peer.  Their common job is to ship
bits to the ISP's customers.  They are peers on that role.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org