Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Sun Jul 13 01:28:54 UTC 2014

On 7/12/2014 3:43 PM, Barry Shein wrote:
> I don't recall whether CSnet had any commercial members.
>
> Apple was a CSNET 56k customer.

As I recall, Schlumberger (http://www.slb.com/, a research site of
theirs on the west coast) was one of the earliest CSNet member.  So was HP.

I put Schlumberger online circa 1981 or 1982.  I believe they were among
the first 5-10 sites I brought up.  At that stage, it was only email
relaying, of course.  Packet services were later.

Also, although CSNet started with NSF money, it was required to become
self-funded within 5 years.  Albeit on a non-profit financial model, I'd
claim that that made it, essentially, a commercial access service.

If one allows 'commercial' ISP to cover independent operations that
happened not to have a profit-oriented motive, I suspect the first
service to quality would be The Little Garden, operated as a direct
consortium, rather than having third-party operations, as CSNet did.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking