Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Fri Jul 11 22:05:40 UTC 2014

Here we go down the rabbit hole again.  This is not difficult.  An Internet Service Provider is an entity that provides Internet connectivity to its customers for some consideration.

If you are looking for a legal definition of an ISP you are not going to find (a satisfactory) one.  The FCC does have specific rules that define carriers such as ILEC, CLEC, RLEC, and those have definitions.  ISP is really a term that describes a line of business.  There is no engineering definition of an ISP that is defined by any regulatory body that I am aware of.

No, you don't need an AS number to be an ISP (or your own address space).  In my early Internet days I was the ISP who sold service to a cable tv company who in turn sold internet service to their customers.  I was the ISP to the cable company and they were the ISP to their customers.  If you send money to someone to provide you with internet service, they are an ISP.  Does not matter who manages the infrastructure or if their entire network was leased out.

You can get into all the semantics about who is a "real ISP" but in the view of the public and most regulators, the ISP is the guy selling Internet access and that's it.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL