Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Fri Jul 11 21:39:32 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Scott Helms <khelms at zcorum.com> wrote:

> Matt,
>
> No one said anything of the sort and now you're trying to redirect.  You
> said, "There *are* some fundamental basics that are necessary to function
> as an ISP; having an AS number and being able to speak BGP are pretty
> much at the top of the list."  This is false, that's all I said nothing
> less and nothing more.
>
> I never made any statement about this list nor do you hear very many of
> the folks who work at those companies on here.  My company has several ASNs
> for both historical and operational reasons, all I am pointing out is that
> you're taking a more limited view of what an ISP is in an eyeball network
> context and that view is inaccurate.

Scott,

I think the problem here is one of terminology, then.
You seem to be discussing "ISP" as a business model;
I'm talking about "ISP" as a network entity.  Regardless
of your business model, from the network perspective,
if you do not have an AS number, you don't exist as a
separate entity.

So, I will grant you that you can print business cards that
list you as an ISP without having an AS number.  But from
the perspective of the network, you don't exist as a separate
entity; the only "ISP" involved in routing those packets from
the perspective of the BGP-speaking core of the internet is
your upstream.

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on this
topic, as it's all just a matter of how we define what an
ISP is.

Thanks!

Matt