Google causes 40% drop in traffic?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 20:34:33 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Stefan Neufeind
<nanog at stefan-neufeind.de> wrote:

> In the interview they are saying that if Google is down, lots of people
> don't have DNS anymore. So that accounts for an even larger drop than
> just "no Youtube". Hmm - why would people use those resolvers, besides
> being lazy in configuring a proper resolver-address.

it's a bit perjorative to say 'lazy' isn't it? what if your ISP does
monkey business with nxdomain or other requests? would you like it
better if people used opendns? or 4.2.2.2? (a non-sla service from a
fourth party...)

I'm a fan of my own resolver, but not everyone has a dns resolver in
they back pocket, right?