Experiences with IPv6 and Routing Efficiency

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Jan 19 12:38:10 UTC 2014

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 12:10:47 PM Saku Ytti wrote:

> Fully agreed. I have no problem being in 6PE until
> fork-lift in some future to IPv6 core and 4PE.

Assuming your addressing will continue to grow on IPv6, and
remain reasonably static on IPv4, your forklift should allow
you to remain native on both (on the basis that at that
time, we do have native control planes both for MPLSv4 and
MPLSv6, of course).

So "4|6PE" would not be necessary. Personally, I think it's
unnecessary labor to remove IPv4 in the future, especially
when it's not expanding. One is welcome to do this, of
course, if they are really bored :-).

Removing native IPv4 in the future only to replace it with
4PE seems quite complex, to me.

> People have too sentimental view on this, if you label
> your IPv4 it is silly not to run 6PE, you're just
> creating complexity and removing functionality.

Turning on native IPv6 in your core is not adding
complexity, I think. Yes, agree that you may lose parity
between MPLS-TEv4 and TEv6 as of today, but some would say
that MPLS-TE adds quite a bit complexity today, especially
if used on a long-term basis.

Mark.