Open source hardware

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 05:01:52 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM, Andrew Duey <
andrew.duey at widerangebroadband.net> wrote:

> I'm surprised nobody's mentioned vyatta.org or the new fork of VyOs.  We
> are currently using the vyatta community edition and so far it's been good
> to to us.  It depends on your hardware and how small of an ISP you are but
> it might be a great open source fit for you.

The orig. author has potentially set course for a world of hurt --  if the
plan is to scrap robust packaged highly-validated gear having separate
hardware forwarding planes and ASIC-driven filtering,  to stick cheap x86
servers in the SP core and internet borders.

Sure... anyone can install Vyatta on a x86 server,   but  assembly of all
the pieces and full validation for a resilient platform comparable to
carrier grade gear, for a mission critical network,  should be a bit more
involved than that.

Next up....   how to build your own  10-Gigabit  SFPs to avoid paying for
expensive brand-name SFPs,  by putting together some chips,  wires,  fiber,
and tying it all together with a piece of duck tape....

just saying... :)

--
-JH