Need trusted NTP Sources

Michael DeMan nanog at deman.com
Thu Feb 6 15:24:17 UTC 2014

Hi Alexander,

I think you or your consultant may have an overly strict reading of the PCI documents.
Looking at section 10.4 of PCI DSS 3.0, and from having gone through PCI a few times...
If you have your PCI hosts directly going against ntp.org or similar, then you are not in compliance.

My understanding is that you need to:

A) Run a local set of NTP servers - these are your 'trusted' servers, under your control, properly managed/secured, fully meshed, etc.
These in turn (section 10.4.3) can get their time from 'industry-accepted time sources'.

B) The rest of your PCI infrastructure in turn uses these NTP servers and only these NTP servers.

- Michael DeMan