Comcast thinks it ok to install public wifi in your house

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Dec 11 23:10:32 UTC 2014

In message <548A2240.7090504 at vaxination.ca>, Jean-Francois Mezei writes:
> On 14-12-11 17:44, Mark Andrews wrote:
>
> > What space?  It is the WiFi modem you are already using.  Unless
> > it requires a seperate external aerial I don't see any extra space.
>
> Matter of principle. Comcast are using space/power/shelter in your home
> to create a service which they market for their own benefit. ATM
> companies have to pay rent to place a standalone ATM in a convenience
> store or shopping mall.

This is not a standalone device.  This is a virtual device which
you control whether it is on or off.

> Now, had Comcast pitched it as the Wi-Fi benefiting YOU because your
> freinds you use their Comcast credentials to access your Wi-Fi, then
> customers would not see this as Comcast using your hardware for its own
> benefit.

They do.  Your friends don't even need to be Comcast customers.
That said allowing the home owner to remove the time limits for
their guests would make this similar to the home owner having a
Guest SSID.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org