Comcast thinks it ok to install public wifi in your house

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Thu Dec 11 23:01:20 UTC 2014

On 14-12-11 17:44, Mark Andrews wrote:

> What space?  It is the WiFi modem you are already using.  Unless
> it requires a seperate external aerial I don't see any extra space.

Matter of principle. Comcast are using space/power/shelter in your home
to create a service which they market for their own benefit. ATM
companies have to pay rent to place a standalone ATM in a convenience
store or shopping mall.

Now, had Comcast pitched it as the Wi-Fi benefiting YOU because your
freinds you use their Comcast credentials to access your Wi-Fi, then
customers would not see this as Comcast using your hardware for its own
benefit.

But pitching the service as allowing strangers on the street to use your
router has huge perception problem, even if the hardware implementation
doesn't really impact you.

Consider how differently the service would be perceived if:

Comcast had announced you get $3.00 rebate per month to enable Xfinity
on your account. An opt-in with financial incentive would have had far
greater success and positive media than what they are getting now.