Charging fee for BGP prefix per /24?!

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Thu Dec 11 07:11:12 UTC 2014

On 12/10/14 7:45 PM, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2014, Yucong Sun wrote:
>
>> It is not the same thing though. In my case, they just say we want
>> you to
>> buy our IP, if you don't and want use you own Arin allocated IP blocks
>> through bgp, then we got to charge you anyway!
>
> Are they charging per /24 (assuming IPv4 here...), or per prefix?
>
> If they are charging per /24, that seems like a great way to encourage
> customers to find another provider.
>
> If they are charging per prefix, that seems like an interesting way to
> encourage customers to make sure they aggregate their BGP
> advertisements as much as possible.

ISPs in my experience have a fee schedule supported by a model which
allows them to recover their expenses plus a nominal profit. If the
model doesn't work, in the long run that is a problem that solves
itself. At the right scale I have productive leverage against the profit
side of that number and also what line items the expenses are lodged
against. below that I'm a retail customer and I pick from the best
options available to me.