Charging fee for BGP prefix per /24?!

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Dec 11 03:45:34 UTC 2014

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014, Yucong Sun wrote:

> It is not the same thing though. In my case, they just say we want you to
> buy our IP, if you don't and want use you own Arin allocated IP blocks
> through bgp, then we got to charge you anyway!

Are they charging per /24 (assuming IPv4 here...), or per prefix?

If they are charging per /24, that seems like a great way to encourage
customers to find another provider.

If they are charging per prefix, that seems like an interesting way to
encourage customers to make sure they aggregate their BGP advertisements
as much as possible.

jms