The FCC is planning new net neutrality rules. And they could enshrine pay-for-play. - The Washington Post

Hugo Slabbert hslabbert at stargate.ca
Mon Apr 28 19:30:14 UTC 2014

>The network op in me thinks double-dipping; the businessman
>in me (hey, gotta make a living, no?) thinks I need to get a piece of
>that profit, since that profit cannot be made without my last-mile
>network, and I'm willing to 'leverage' that if need be.

...which turns the eyeball network provider into a gatekeeper.  I think
the clearest comment on this so far has been from Kristopher Doyen in the "What
Net Neutrality should and should not cover" thread, which goes into players
abusing their position in the market to extract additional revenue with stuff
like this.

Packets are packets are packets; aside from a sense of entitlement, why should
the eyeball network provider get "a piece of the action" simply because the
packets are revenue-generating for a 3rd party?  This incurs a massive
additional barrier to entry for any business that depends on the internet for
their income, as now their revenue has to not only cover their own overhead and
profits but also need to fund additional profits for ANY eyeball network
provider that believes they're entitled to a "piece of the action".  Why should
I subsidize your business?

E.g. I sell a widget on my website.  An eyeball network provider's customer
visits my website to purchase some widgets.  "Hey", says eyeball network
operator, "you're making money off of packets traversing my network! Pay up!"

I know I've shifted this a bit from revenue-generating streaming content to a
generic e-commerce situation, but how is that different except for the scale of
traffic?  If the eyeball network provider sees fit to charge Netflix $x/Gbps
because of the $y/Gbps that Netflix is making from that traffic, the call on
when to charge rests solely with the eyeball network operator.  If my widget
ecommerce store makes $1000y/Gbps because the traffic is small but revenue
high, getting "a piece of the action" could mean $1000x/Gbps because there is
more value "per packet".

--
Hugo