iOS 7 update traffic

Neil Harris neil at tonal.clara.co.uk
Mon Sep 23 10:59:59 UTC 2013

On 23/09/13 10:32, John Smith wrote:
> Picked this off www.jaluri.com (network and Cisco blog aggregator):
>
> http://routingfreak.wordpress.com/2013/09/23/ios7s-impact-on-networks-worldwide/
>
> The consensus seems to be for providers to install CDN servers, if they arent able to cope up with an occasional OS update traffic.
>
> http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=391B4B64-F693-41B7-6BBAC6D7017C3B8A
>
> John

Perhaps Apple, Microsoft etc. should consider using Bittorrent as a way
of distributing their updates? If ISPs were to run their own Bittorrent
servers (with appropriate restrictions, see below), this would then
create an instant CDN, with no need to define any other protocols or pay
any third parties.

The hard bit would be to create a way for Apple etc. to be able to
authoritatively say "we are the content owners, and are happy for you to
replicate this locally": but perhaps this could be as simple serving the
initial seed from an HTTPS server with a valid certificate? It would
then be trivial to create a whitelist of the domains of the top 10 or so
distributors of patches, and then everything would work automatically
from then on.

-- N.