iOS 7 update traffic

Ryan Harden hardenrm at uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 19 19:06:38 UTC 2013

To be honest, I don't see this as a problem at all. Use it as an excuse to upgrade your pipes, talk Akamai or CDN of choice into putting a cache on your network, or implement your own caching solution. As operators of the Internet we should be looking for ways to enable things like this, not be up in arms at Apple for releasing an update to their phone OS or making it available in a way that's inconvenient to our oversubscription policies.

As a side note, how are some of you not aware of this? This has happened with every single Apple OS update since the iPhone was released in 2007. This isn't a new phenomenon. I realize some of you are too cool for Apple, but paying attention to traffic trends and keeping abreast of how new software releases might affect your utilization is part of properly running a network.

/Ryan

Ryan Harden
Senior Network Engineer
University of Chicago - AS160