Network configuration archiving

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 03:31:08 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Job Snijders <
job.snijders at hibernianetworks.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
> I am unsure what we as networkers have done in the past, but I am sure
> we've done our fair share of atonement and don't have to keep using
> RANCID.

Does the nature of the codebase and future development matter all that
much?    Not to dismiss it as a factor,   but I think other criteria should
be more important  :)

Nrmally  when I would want to compare software ----   I would be concerned
first and foremost,     (1)  What does it do/what makes it unique --  is
something special about  package X  over package Y?;
(2)   Does it meet all the  minimum needs I have right now to be a viable
solution?
           Does it grab all my configs and  put them in a permanent
revision control system?  :)

(3) How reliable is it,  can I trust it?   Is it very secure and safe to
use?    It's no good if it breaks, fails,  or does something dangerous.
How much care and feeding will it need to keep working?          If it
needs complex repair work every few weeks,  I don't like it.

(4) How easy is it to get up and running,  and to perform any required
ongoing maintenance
(5) What extra nice to have functionality does it have?

(6)  Maybe other stuff like  what language its written in,  if extra
features need to be added

--
-JH