Network configuration archiving

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Oct 25 20:02:15 UTC 2013

On (2013-10-25 14:27 -0400), Phil Bedard wrote:

> The vendor config->abstract data (really structured data) is the point of
> YANG definitions.  I think I'm correct but Tail-F's system works by

> interpreter based on those definitions.  The trick is getting the
> standards bodies and vendors to support common definitions for common
> protocols like they sorta have with SNMP.  So when I need to put a route

The idea is great, but I don't feel it's actually practical. Since already MIB
standards lag features and getting MIB into vendor code lags further.
So if you would only limit yourself deploying stuff that all your vendors
support via common standard model like YANG, you'd be in clear competitive
disadvantage in launching products.

If you can avoid doing VendorConfig -> Abstract (Or structured as you say)
Data. Things get just so much simpler.

--
  ++ytti