BGP failure analysis and recommendations

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 03:06:07 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM, JRC NOC
<nospam-nanog at jensenresearch.com> wrote:
> Is this just an unavoidable issue with scaling large networks?

nope... sounds like (to me at least) the forwarding plane and control
plane are non-congruent in your provider's network :( so as you said,
if the forwarding-plane is dorked up between you and 'the rest of
their netowrk', but the edge device you are connected to thinks
next-hops for routes are still valid... oops :(

> Is it perhaps a known side effect of MPLS?

nope.

> Have we/they lost something important in the changeover to converged
> mutiprotocol networks?
> Is there a better way for us edge networks to achieve IP resiliency in the
> current environment?

sadly I bet not, aside from active probing and disabling paths that
are non-functional.