BGP failure analysis and recommendations

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Thu Oct 24 07:07:04 UTC 2013

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM, JRC NOC
> <nospam-nanog at jensenresearch.com> wrote:
>
>> Have we/they lost something important in the changeover to converged
>> mutiprotocol networks?
>> Is there a better way for us edge networks to achieve IP resiliency in the
>> current environment?
>
> sadly I bet not, aside from active probing and disabling paths that
> are non-functional.

Um, how about, don't buy services from network providers that fail in this
way?

Since we're not naming names, I won't, but in the past there's been at
least one provider that used multi-hop eBGP at their edges because they
didn't want to invest in edge gear that could handle a full BGP table.  My
concern with their network (beyond many other concerns) was that when that
router in the middle had a soft failure, how would BGP know to route
around it?  Answer: it wouldn't, you'd black hole.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, there was at least one provider that
used custom software to actively probe their upstream providers and route
around poor performance.  At one time, there was also software, hardware
and services that you could install/run on your own network to try to
detect these things as well, however I'm not sure how many of them are
still on the market.

The bottom line, however, is don't buy services from companies that do a
poor job of running their network unless you can accept these kinds of
failures.

--
Brandon Ross                                      Yahoo & AIM:  BrandonNRoss
+1-404-635-6667                                                ICQ:  2269442