Policy-based routing is evil? Discuss.

Fred Reimer freimer at freimer.org
Fri Oct 11 18:41:20 UTC 2013

I think they are referring to something like Cisco PBR, where you
configure routing policy statically on each hop.  Yes, it can be
configured to fail over, etc, but inherently it is a management nightmare
if you are configuring PBR on each device in your network.  May as well
move back to static routing on everythingŠ

Used sparingly, I'd agree that it does have its uses.  One use I can think
of is to use PBR to direct traffic for testing a new circuit or path while
not cutting everything over.  That is, until it is sufficiently tested,
and then everything would be cut over and the PBR removedŠ