OT: Below grade fiber interconnect points

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 15 20:58:57 UTC 2013

On 11/15/13 12:29, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> [...]

I realize I am wordy, but four bullet points (one of which involves
apparel) != "17 pages of caveats".  Nice try.  The rest of the email was
inline replies to Justin's points.

> So, the elephant in the room at this stage of the thing is this:
>
> Why don't you just *put this stuff in a building*, and, y'know, never
> demolish it?

Have you ever been involved in University space wars?  Especially in a
new building?  The 9-layer OSI model gets pretty top-heavy when you
factor that in.  If anything, the caveats helped to keep others from
wanting to use the space.

But I will say that the general difficulty of getting equipment in and
out of the CEVs generally discouraged UCB from doing more CEVs beyond
the 3 originals.  That _one_ caveat weighed pretty heavily.

michael