Reverse DNS RFCs and Recommendations

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Nov 5 19:24:41 UTC 2013

In message <CE9E4E3C.367C3%Lee at asgard.org>, Lee Howard writes:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-andrews-dnsop-pd-reverse-00
>

> It would be great to have this conversation in the IETF Homenet WG, as
> well as DNSops.

I did send the announcement to homenet as well with reply-to sent
to dnsop.  While I am in homenet I would prefer the conversation
in one place in the IETF.  I do realise that it also needs to be
here and potentially other places.

> This would solve the gaps I identified.  Not sure why I, as an ISP, would
> spend money on this.

What money do they need to spend once the DHCP server supports it?

It's a little bit of disk, a little bit of memory, a little bit
less DNS traffic to their servers (as the referral will push
queries to the customer's DNS servers) which is will come in at
cents per customer per annum.  Enterprises effectively do the
equivalent amount of work today registering PTR records in the DNS
using TSIG requests from the DHCP server.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org