Open Resolver List, New Orleans, etc..

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu May 9 23:32:11 UTC 2013

On Thu, 9 May 2013, Jared Mauch wrote:

> Some interesting data: about 46% of the IPs that respond to a DNS query
> do not respond from port 53, meaning they are "broken" in some
> interesting way.

Maybe I'm not being very imaginative, but how can something from !53 be
considered a DNS response to a query sent to port 53?  Can you give some
examples of the sorts of packets that fall into this rather large % of
ill-behaved hosts?  Are you sure you're not treating things like icmp port
unreachable as a "!udp/53 src response"?