Open Resolver List, New Orleans, etc..

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu May 9 15:35:41 UTC 2013

I am putting the finishing touches on a presentation I will be making later this week at the DNS-OARC meeting, but I also wanted to ask anyone here if they had data/ideas of items they are interested in seeing from the Open Resolver Project.

We perform a weekly scan of the IPv4 space looking for DNS servers that can be used in an amplification attack.

Some interesting data: about 46% of the IPs that respond to a DNS query do not respond from port 53, meaning they are "broken" in some interesting way.

I encourage folks to check your IP space here:

http://openresolverproject.org/

You can also e-mail the project to get direct access to per-ASN reports.  That email needs to come from a contact in the RIR object, or from a corporate address that can be easily identified as related to your org.

If you are an ISAC or similar, we can also assist you.

Thanks,

- jared