BCP38 - Internet Death Penalty

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Mar 28 15:39:45 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Adam Vitkovsky <adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk> wrote:
> What I got on my mind was an eBGP session to stub site /single homed
> customer.

Hi Adam,

"Single homed stub site" is not a configuration option in any BGP
setup I'm aware of, so how would the router select RPF as the default
for a single-homed stub site?

On the other hand, a router can usually make a determination about
"routing protocol is active on this interface."  That's not true of a
few BGP-only configurations, but it's true everywhere else in the
network interior.

Any interface where the routing is 100% static is by definition a
single-homed stub. And for the purposes of this discussion, radius,
tacacs and dhcp are not routing protocols; a radius-assigned route is
static on the interface to which it is assigned. Hence RPF could
safely enable itself by default there.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004