PRISM: NSA/FBI Internet data mining project

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 21 15:19:51 UTC 2013

On Jun 21, 2013, at 5:10 PM, Phil Fagan <philfagan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would think this is only an issue if they throw out the Fourth in that when they use that data collected "inadvertantly" to build a case a against you they use no other data collected under a proper warrant.

That statement ignores a longstanding legal principle known as "fruit of the poison tree".

>  If the purpose was to actually collect data on you, in the event you do something , they can simply run a query against this data post court order...then that's crossing the line.

Indeed, they don't even seem to be required to bother with the court order any more. The standing FISA order seems to pretty much allow them to do all the required line crossing without any additional court order.

>  I personally think there is nothing wrong with monitoring US communications - big difference between monitoring US communications and monitoring US persons communications.

It's pretty clear that they are likely monitoring both.

Owen