huawei (ZTE too)

Warren Bailey wbailey at satelliteintelligencegroup.com
Thu Jun 13 19:44:21 UTC 2013

Is that also not possibly the case with Cisco, Juniper, XYZ network
equipment vendors? If the Chinese are doing it, I would imagine we (along
with our pals) are doing it as well. It'll be interesting to see what NSA
dox this guy drops in the coming days and weeks ahead. All of the TV
pundits were screaming Hong Kong was going to give him up, until he
released information on a program relating to penetrating foreign
government networks. I think the dynamics of China and their behavior
after the release(s) will factor in greatly into contract awards in the
future. Granted he hasn't released any information on compromising
physical hardware for the moment, but if that were to come to light it
would murder .cn imports of gear almost immediately. If we were doing it,
and they weren't .. They will now.

At the end of the day, we are almost ALWAYS more than willing to give them
our IP and state secrets in order to (a) buy something really cheap or (b)
sell something really expensive. I'm sure it's completely understood
within the intelligence communities what capabilities the Chinese have,
mostly because we probably gave or sold it to them at some point. They
haven't ALWAYS made their own hardware, and they still bring quite a bit
in through creative channels.