File transfer speed between Hong Kong and Johannesburg, South Africa

Shaw, Matthew mshaw at fairpoint.com
Thu Jul 11 14:52:59 UTC 2013

He specified SMBv2 so I think you're on track with him being on a Win7 / WinSrv2008 box.

There are a number of variables at play here though, one of which is who the provider's in-between the two locations are and the quality / number of peering points you'd have to cross. If the endpoints were already setup, I'd schedule a number of decently sized (big enough that it takes at least 5 - 10 minutes for scaling to do its thing) test transfers hourly or once every couple hours over the course of a week to get a baseline and understanding of how time of day traffic affects the transfer. If it's live traffic on the other hand, where a user is pulling up some massive file from the other office, you're likely better off looking into a WAN accelerator appliance.

- Matt