File transfer speed between Hong Kong and Johannesburg, South Africa

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Jul 11 14:48:43 UTC 2013

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013, Luan Nguyen wrote:

> Does anyone know what's the average speed for windows file transferring
> (SMB2) between Hong Kong and Johannesburg?
> Any guide on how to calculate/estimate this?

Worst case would be that XP is involved, then you're going to be limited
by xmodem-like behaviour of SMB, which means you'll get 60 kilobyte of
data per RTT.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2012/06/06/windows-server-2012-which-version-of-the-smb-protocol-smb-1-0-smb-2-0-smb-2-1-or-smb-3-0-you-are-using-on-your-file-server.aspx
says SMB2 is vista and later, so you will probably be able to get higher
speeds than that. If you look at 5, then "request compounding" is probably
what solved the problem I mentioned earlier.

Unfortunately I dont have further details than this.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se