ALTDB question.

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Jul 2 00:02:59 UTC 2013

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A quick question for all.
>
> It's my understanding that the Maintainer object needs to be created first. This is accomplished by sending the template to db-admin at altdb.net
>
> This is not an automated process, but gets done manually. If there is any discrepancy then one gets a reply back with the error .
>
> a) Am I correct in my understanding of above ?
> b) Is there any auto reply to confirm email receipt ? or only replies are after the request is either complete or sent back for missing / incorrect info ?
> c) What would be the appropriate amount of time to wait for such a reply ?
> d) Is there a way to check to see if the Maintainer object has been created ?

Once created, your maintainer object will be visible in the whois served
by whois.altdb.net.

If you're just getting started with IRR, no offense intended towards
ALTDB, but I'd suggest using any of the other free ones.  ARIN and RIPE
are both, AFAIK, free for anyone to use and support better authentication
than ALTDB.  Also, AFAIK, ALTDB has been a one (or few?) person volunteer
effort, and from time to time, there have been service outages, reliant on
one or a few people for resolution.  ARIN and RIPE are staffed and better
financially backed.