How far must muni fiber operators protect ISP competition?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Feb 5 18:11:10 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Scott Helms" <khelms at zcorum.com>

> On the data side that's certainly possible, but the content guys won't play
> ball on a shared L2 network. This actually undermines my position on how
> to architect your system, but sharing anything from one of the big content
> guys isn't something I've seen them allow as of yet. Organizations like
> TVN(Avail now?) or NCTC also require direct agreements and I've never seen
> them do anything at an aggregation level.

I'm aware of how pissy content providers/transport aggregators are likely
to be; I'm been involved in the mythTV project for about 7 years.

My point was that if any of them provide on-site equipment as, say, Akamai
do (and yes, I realize we're discussing real-time now, not caching), if
they have multiple clients in the same place, it's in *their* best interest
not to provision multiple racks just because they have contracts with
multiple providers; perhaps such racks would connect directly, and mentioning
my IX was a red-herring; my apologies for confusing the matter.

Cheers,
-- jra