How far must muni fiber operators protect ISP competition?

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Tue Feb 5 16:43:09 UTC 2013

IMHO:   level of clue is a minor point, as that can be bought. The fundamental issues for a project like this are funding, and intent. Well-funded organizations that lack intent are just problem children that like to tie up the courts to keep others from making progress. The target for a project like you describe is the organization with intent, but lacks funding. Yes some of those will have an easier time by not having to acquire the appropriate level of clue, but they may not last long if they don't. Part of your calculation has to be level of churn you are willing to impose on the city as the low-price competitors come and go.

Tony