NSA able to compromise Cisco, Juniper, Huawei switches

[AP] NANOG nanog at armoredpackets.com
Tue Dec 31 04:06:29 UTC 2013

Sabri,

As I was going through reading all these replies, the one thing that
continued to poke at me was the requirement of the signed binaries and
microcode.  The same goes for many of the Cisco binaries, without direct
assistance, which is unclear at this point through the cloud of smoke so
to speak, it would be difficult to load this code post implementation or
manufacturing.  Then looking at things from the evil side though, if
they owned the system which provides the signing then they could sign
virtually anything they wish.  This is similar to what happened to Red
Hat a number a years ago when they had their repos owned and the
packages were compromised but passed just fine because the signing
server was owned as well.

Not say this is or isn't the case, but I know from my experience were I
worked in an ISP running Juniper routers (M & J Series) coast to coast,
that with the number of eyes watching these devices, it would have to be
done at the firmware level not to be seen by the analysts.  This is not
out of reach either, it was roughly 5-7 years ago when Ethernet cards
were owned with a firmware hack and all the traffic crossing that
interface was seen then reported back.  I know that all the
conversations surrounding this topic were shut down quickly and the
conference talks surrounding it dried up as well, everyone I talked to
was curious why the conversations of such an attack all of a sudden went
silent and have yet to resurface...

I think we need to watch and listen/read over the coming weeks and
months before we go assuming we have it figured out.

Keep in mind the best way to cover up a covert mission is not to cover
it up to start with.  Put it out there, then flood the channels with
false or miss information, until the real mission is so clouded with
miss information you can no longer see the real mission resulting in the
perfect execution of the op.

Just a few thoughts, sorry no answers...

--

Thank you,

Robert Miller
http://www.armoredpackets.com