NSA able to compromise Cisco, Juniper, Huawei switches

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Tue Dec 31 04:33:52 UTC 2013

On Dec 31, 2013, at 11:06 AM, [AP] NANOG <nanog at armoredpackets.com> wrote:

> Then looking at things from the evil side though, if they owned the system which provides the signing then they could sign
> virtually anything they wish.

Or if they owned *people* with the right level of access to do so, or if there were implementation bugs which could be utilized to bypass or obviate the signing . . .

None of the alleged capabilities described in the purported documents is really standalone; they all rely upon other methods/mechanisms in order to provide the required foundation to accomplish their stated goals.

> I think we need to watch and listen/read over the coming weeks and months before we go assuming we have it figured out.

This is the most pertinent and insightful comment made in this thread.

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton