The Making of a Router

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sat Dec 28 21:29:54 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 08:53:53AM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> There is a significant value in "just plug it in and it works", and if
> you don't figure your time investment (both up-front and on-going) into
> the cost, you are greatly fooling yourself.

What ISP-grade router are you using that is plug-and-play?  So far, all the
ones I've used have required some quite considerable configuration and
testing to verify they do everything I need, and that's *after* I've spent a
long time reading lies^Wfine marketing documentation trying to decide which
combination of features best suits my needs, and then trying to guess what
other features my business might need during the service lifetime of the
device.

- Matt

--
I can only guess that the designer of the things had a major Toilet Duck
habit and had managed to score a couple of industrial-sized bottles of the