The Making of a Router

Olivier Cochard-Labbé olivier at cochard.me
Fri Dec 27 00:48:16 UTC 2013

Le 26 déc. 2013 22:02, "Nick Cameo" <symack at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Any benchmarks of freebsd vs openbsd vs present day linux kern?

Hi,

Here are my own benchs using smallest packet size (sorry no Linux):
http://dev.bsdrp.net/benchs/BSD.network.performance.TenGig.png

My conclusion: building a line-rate gigabit router (or a few rules ipfw
firewall) is possible on commodity server without problem with FreeBSD.
Building a 10gigabit router (this mean routing about 14Mpps) will be more
complex in present day.
Note: The packet generator used was the high-perf netmap pkg-gen, allowing
me to generate about 13Mpps on this same hardware (under FreeBSD), but I'm
not aware of forwarding tools that use netmap: There are only packet
generator and capture tools available.