[nznog] Web Servers: Dual-homing or DNAT/Port Forwarding?

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Thu Dec 12 01:42:16 UTC 2013

On 12/11/2013 9:21 AM, Tim Franklin wrote:
>> Just because something is public doesn¹t mean you have to accept
>> ALL traffic, it just means you have to anticipate any potential
>> problems based on Larry knowing your address rather than imagining
>> him standing at the front gate of your gated community. ;) (let¹s
>> torture that analogy!)
>
> There's still a gated community?  I thought that particular piece of
> routing joy was long gone...
>
> Sorry, I'll get my coat. Tim.

I'm not sure that was an analogy--it was exploring the exact meanings of
two words.

In any case, I submit that an address behind a gate is not a "public
address".

But my point is, my address is in fact public, not behind any
gates--displayed once on the post that supports the mail box, again
inside the mailbox door for the mail person, and on a sign on the house
next to the door.

Which public display grants to no one any right of access to the
interior of my house (indeed to no part of the property save the path
from the street to the front door).

Similarly, my IP address could be publicly visible but that does not
grant any right of access to the equipment it attaches to.

(I might leave my front door wide open--that STILL does not grant any
RIGHT of access.  It does depend on archaic notions of honest and regard
for rights to keep people out.)

I'm done.
--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: