turning on comcast v6

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Dec 11 22:01:32 UTC 2013

In message <A026246E-F884-47F0-9225-AFAA87CD35B1 at steffann.nl>, Sander Steffann
writes:
> Hi,
>
> Op 11 dec. 2013, om 20:46 heeft Kinkaid, Kyle <kkinkaid at usgs.gov> het
> volgende geschreven:
> > I'm curious, do you know of a consumer-grade router which supports
> > DHCPv6-PD?
>
> I have tested a whole bunch of them more than a year ago. I can remember
> seeing IPv6 DHCPv6-PD client support on gear from AVM Fritz!box, D-Link,
> Draytek, Zyxel, Linksys, Asus, Thompson/Technicolor and I must be
> forgetting a few as well. Most of them weren't very advanced, but they
> worked to get IPv6 connectivity in the house. What I am missing these
> days is DHCPv6-PD server support to re-delegate parts of the prefix it
> got from the ISP downstream to other home routers. As far as I know AVM
> Fritz!box is the only one that does that today.

And the need for it was obvious when all the other boxes were being
developed.  Daisy chaining routers has been part of home setups for
many, many years if only to get configuration control because the
ISP router is not configurable enough.  There was no reason to think
that this would change with IPv6.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org