Vancouver IXP - VanTX - BCNet

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 16:16:44 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> > New IXP founders typically contact our staff
>
> wow!  i did not know we had the ixp god here!  lemme go back to my
> camera-ready dreadline. :)
>
> > - Three or more participants
> > - Shared layer-2 switch fabric across which participants peer with
> >   each other, exchanging customer routes
> > - New participation is not too rigorously constrained (at least a
> >   domestic ISP new market entrant should be able to participate)
>
> imiho, it is also nice if non-isp folk can participate, content, etc.

It provides for much more financial benefit for the participants if they
can. Pulling that traffic off of the wire at a N:N ratio usually results in
enough of a cost savings to be a win-win for both.

> > - Participants do not receive a metered-rate bill based on utilization
>
> that's a new one.  i am not sure i understand why.  just seems a finer
> grained case of 100mb for $1, 1g for $5, and 10g for $20 or whatever.

I completely agree.

> and i would add carrier neutrality, i can haul fiber from anyone into
> the exchange.  this is pretty critical in the exchanges where i have
> played.
>
> randy

Exchanges boxed in by incumbents and monopolies should absolutely be
contacting content sources directly (peering@) to determine if there is a
way that they can participate in the community directly. In most cases I
can definitively tell you that there is likely a way to resolve the
business issues that are roadblocks for both parties and to return
substantial benefit to the exchange and it's community. That train left the
station a few years ago. See Curacao.

Best Regards,

-M<