Vancouver IXP - VanTX - BCNet

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Wed Aug 21 14:52:12 UTC 2013

> New IXP founders typically contact our staff

wow!  i did not know we had the ixp god here!  lemme go back to my
camera-ready dreadline. :)

> - Three or more participants
> - Shared layer-2 switch fabric across which participants peer with
>   each other, exchanging customer routes
> - New participation is not too rigorously constrained (at least a
>   domestic ISP new market entrant should be able to participate)

imiho, it is also nice if non-isp folk can participate, content, etc.

> - Participants do not receive a metered-rate bill based on utilization

that's a new one.  i am not sure i understand why.  just seems a finer
grained case of 100mb for $1, 1g for $5, and 10g for $20 or whatever.

and i would add carrier neutrality, i can haul fiber from anyone into
the exchange.  this is pretty critical in the exchanges where i have
played.

randy