Typical warranty for generic DWDM transceivers

Manuel Marín mmg at transtelco.net
Tue Aug 20 06:00:35 UTC 2013

Dear nanog group

We are currently evaluating the use of generic third party optics (SFP+ and
XFP) for 40Kms and 80Kms applications from vendors like NHR and Champion
One and I was wondering if someone in the group has experience using optics
from these vendors. My concern is about quality/reliability.  They are
suppose to provide lifetime warranty, however as far as I know the life
time for DWDM optics is between 3 to 5 years.

Could someone share their experience with using generic optics for DWDM
applications?

Thank you