Typical warranty for generic DWDM transceivers

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Tue Aug 20 09:56:55 UTC 2013

On 20/08/2013 07:00, Manuel Marín wrote:
> Could someone share their experience with using generic optics for DWDM
> applications?

Not sure what you mean by "generic optics"?  If you mean manufactured by
Joe's Optics and Fishing Bait company and sold on ebay for special low
rates, then the question is: are you in a position to test these units in
advance to the extent that you're going to be happy with their reliability?
 Otherwise why are you trusting your entire business to this?

Personally, I'm not in that position, so I buy third party transceivers
from a respectable vendor with good quality service.  This works very well
for me.  Cheaper transceivers are only cheaper when you take their lifetime
cost into account.  If they have quality issues, or cause more downtime, or
require more amplification, or cause mobo overheating issues due to poor
thermal characteristics, or if you need to spend a lot of time testing and
characterising the transceivers before deployment, then they are probably
not going to be cheaper.

I could buy these transceivers on ebay, but I don't want the hassle of
having to deal with links flopping offline and transceivers burning out
regularly.  No doubt plenty of cheap white-label vendors are completely
fine, but I'm not going to invest my time/money or anyone else's time/money
in trying to find out which, because for my requirements it's cheaper to do
this than to use ebay.

Nick