which firewall product?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Aug 5 19:19:25 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Jason Pack <jpack at sevone.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure you can do this with any modern firewall... An ASA5505 is
> always a good bet.
>
> You'd just have to route the IPIP packets to a hairpin interface on the
> firewall, then create a policy that handles packets coming inbound from the
> hairpin.  Policies for handling traffic with that as the source interface
> would be able to filter based on layer-3 info as normal.

Hi Jason,

Hairpinning. So, set a router in there with a policy set on the
inbound ipip tunnel to forward all traffic out an ethernet to the ASA.
Then once I get it back on another ethernet from the ASA, use another
policy route to push it all to an outbound tunnel interface.

I hadn't considered that. Yikes, I'm not sure I want to. :)

Thanks,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004