Big Temporary Networks

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Sep 18 23:03:08 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:
> Not being aware of which states have this law, it's entirely possible that
> the intersection between states that have this law and states which have
> enough scifi fans willing to get together to host a worldcon is negligible.

There were enough fans among the 600,000 folks in the Baltimore area
but not enough an hour away among the 5,600,000 in the National
Capital Region to justify hosting a Worldcon a couple miles inside the
Virginia border where no unions would get in your way? Really?

> I'm closely associated and personal friends with people who have done the
> hotel negotiations for four of the recent worldcons, and on a first name
> basis with most of the others, and this union requirement has been a major
> problem with most if not all of them.

Tell 'em to look in a right to work state. Like Florida.

http://www.nrtw.org/rtws.htm

> Just getting a waiver to allow people
> to serve drinks in their own hotel rooms has been hard enough to break many
> bids. It is currently impossible in San Francisco due to hotel contracts,
> and part of why Worldcon will never return to San Francisco unless very
> unlikely changes happen.

California. NOT a right to work state.

Regards,
Bill Herrin